Lab/Shul is growing, and fast. Just ask Slingshot, which once again named Lab/Shul one of the top 50 innovative Jewish organizations in North America.
It’s no wonder then that we are seeking a Chief Operating Officer who will oversee our organization and help lead us into the future. Below is the full job description. Please share with your social networks to help us find the best of the best.
All resumes/cover letters should be submitted to [email protected]
In its third successful year, Lab/Shul is a fast growing experimental community that comes together for sacred Jewish gatherings led by Amichai Lau-Lavie. Based in NYC, Lab/Shul creates and celebrates innovative opportunities for contemplation, life cycle rituals, the arts, life-long learning and social justice. Lab/Shul has already been identified as a leading pioneer in the growing field of emerging Jewish communities in North America, redefining the ways we gather and nourish our thirst for meaning, connection, spirituality and community. We are an everybody-friendly, artist-driven, co-created, God-optional, inclusive laboratory for the continued evolution of engagement in Jewish life and community, locally and globally.
The Role: Chief Operating Officer
Lab/Shul is a dynamic, progressive, and growing organization. We seek a Chief Operating Officer who, in conjunction with Amichai Lau-Lavie, will oversee our organization and lead us through our next phase of growth and beyond. This new and important role requires specific skills as well as an interest in and commitment to our mission and goals.
We seek an experienced, creative and flexible self-starter who can thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’ll bring knowledge, experience, energy, clarity and tenacity. Your leadership will provide an organizational framework, shape processes, and create efficiencies for a growing 501(c)(3) organization. Your efforts will keep us on track to grow our community, enhance fundraising capabilities, create robust programming and increase impact.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and execute a strategic operational plan for the organization
- Provide day-to-day leadership in finance, budgeting, and management
- Oversee staffing, marketing, event management, and programming and fundraising
- Manage the financial and operational reporting process to Amichai Lau-Lavie, donors, Board, and other stakeholders
- Participate actively in fundraising strategy and implementation, including meetings with potential donors
- Meet day-to-day challenges in technology, operations and execution
- Recruit, retain, train and manage key talent
- Establish “Best Practices” as the organization grows
- Serve as key staff liaison to Board of Directors and supervise Board initiatives and Committees
- BS, BA required; Advanced Degree preferred
- 10+ years of leadership, operations and management experience
- Thorough understanding of 501(C)(3) non-profit financial management and reporting
- 7+ years of P&L experience with an understanding of finance, cash flow and budgets
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, minimally stratified, start-up environment
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, written and presentation skills
- Knowledge of the Jewish community and its various customs and trends
- Experience hiring and managing people including paid employees and volunteers
- Exceptional donor relationship management, negotiation and diplomacy skills
- An appreciation for Lab/Shul’s mission
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Full Time: This is a full-time job, on-site in Manhattan. Re-location is not provided.
Reports To: Amichai Lau-Lavie, Founder and Ritual Leader, Board Executive Committee
Compensation: Lab/Shul offers a competitive base salary commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits program
Lab/Shul is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring